Friday, February 21, 2014

The Best Turkey Chilli

This was originally posted on my wellness blog "eat. burpee. sleep. repeat".  I like it so much I thought it would be valuable to post here as well for any mamas out there looking for great meal ideas!  There is also a great soup on the other blog that can help with cravings, etc. if you are currently on a weight loss journey.  It is not a meal per say ~ it is more of a snack and side option.  You can check it out here.  Bon appetite!

Ok both of my kids are napping so I am going to bang out this post!  Yesterday I shared an awesome soup recipe from one of my favourite nutritionist author's Dr. Joey Shulman.  Well today my 3 year old and I whipped up some yummy turkey chilli.  I find chilli recipes somewhat all the same but really enjoyed this one because it has cinnamon in it!  So not only is it super nutritious, filled with fibre and protein but has undertones off cinnamon which really make this chilli pop!  This recipe comes from Phase 2: Boost of Dr. Shulman's Metabolism Boosting Diet.  You can find it on page 237 ~ it is delicious and again a great meal you can freeze in a portion size container and heat up for a home cooked meal without all the prep!

THE RECIPE:

1lb ground turkey
1 can (28oz) diced tomatoes
1 can (28oz) tomato sauce
½ medium onion, diced
2 celery sticks, diced
2 carrots, diced
1 cup sliced mushrooms
3 cloves garlic, minced
½ tsp EACH dried basil, parsley, oregano, cinnamon
1 tbsp chilli powder
1 bay leaf
1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed

In a large pot, cook turkey over medium heat until browned ~ drain off fat.  Stir in tomatoes, tomato sauce, vegetables and spices.  Simmer, uncovered for 40 minutes stirring occasionally.  Add beans and simmer for another 5 minutes.  Remove bay leaf and serve.

SIDE NOTE: I have never had to drain off fat since the turkey I have used is super lean.  I prefer to add my beans when I add everything else and let it simmer for 40 minutes instead of adding the beans at the end.  I think it just depends on your personal preference.  

Here are the goodies I used today ~ as you can tell I veered from the original recipe a tiny bit due to what was in my cabinets:)  I used a can of mixed beans and a can of small red beans instead of 1 can kidney beans.  Now that I have made this recipe half a dozen times or so I feel pretty comfortable with switching it up a little here or there:)
I use pretty much all organic canned goods, spices, etc.  Everything would have been purchased at Nature's Fare (my favourite place for everything grocery).

Two Rivers ground turkey is from North Vancouver, BC ~ again try to do as much organic and local as we can.  Also look for SPCA approved eggs and meat.  Purchased from Nature's Fare as well.

This is my best sous chef Marley:)  She re-washes all my veggies and preps them (puts them on the cutting board)for me to chop up.  Then she puts them in the bowl! She rocks ~ you can't purchase her from Nature's Fare though you will find her there often!  She loves it there!
Mix all these goodies together and simmer!  It smells so good ~ especially with a little cinnamon pop!

Here are the nutrition details per serving:
371 calories
11 g fat
36 g carbohydrates
32 g protein
11 g fibre
12 g sugars

I am telling you this recipe is one to try and it will become a staple in your home!  My husband adds a little hot sauce because he loves hot ~ and nothing is hot enough for him.  This recipe has a bit of spice but nothing drastic.  Thank you Dr. Shulman for another winner!  Enjoy everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment